Sunday, July 26, 2009

May and June--Cake Decorating

Originally, cake decorating was only going to be May, and June was to "go see a play/musical." Well, there wasn't any plays or musicals I was interested in seeing, so I continued cake decorating in June. I took the class through Michael's, which only teaches the Wilton method (I didn't even know there were other methods, but apparently there are). There are a total of four courses, each one is a once a week, 2 hour class for a month.

May, the first course, was mainly an introductory class where we learned a few borders, some figure piping, and the final culminating class was the "Wilton rose."

This was my first cake I made.

This was my second cake. I made this for my mom and dad's anniversary.

This was my final cake for the class.

After I finished my first class, the mom of one of my sister's friends called me up at 10 0'clock on a Friday night and asked me to make a graduation cake for her niece... for the next day! I accepted the job and then proceded to freak out. I ran to Walmart (only store open that late to buy cake mix, frosting, etc. I actually ended up having to make 2 cakes. I had thought that the first one I had made was cool enough. But, it was too big, for one, and not cool enough, for another, and it completely fell apart as I turned it over. Hence baking a second cake. The important thing is, I got it done.


The second class was basically flowers galore.


I plan on taking the last two classes, but I needed a break. The next one starts in August. I have since made other cakes. If you would like me to make you a cake, let me know! The last cake I made was for a "Threadcakes" competition. Here's the final result:
It's based off of a design titled "Eclipse!"

I'm planning on making another one for the Threadless contest before the end of the week. I'll post pics when I'm done.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Yes, I'd say you DO have an aptitude for cake decorating. Very nice!

Rhia Jean said...

Wow...you are like super cool! Not that you weren't before, but you are even more so now. What is one step up from super cool? Super Duper Cool? Hmmm...yeah, I like the sound of that.

Erika said...

Great job! Those cakes look FABULOUS and I'm so jealous of your rose-making ability! Your cakes all look like you've been doing it for years.