Sunday, September 21, 2008

Those Were The Days

You know how there are those people that yearn to return to their golden hay days of high school? I know you know who I'm talking about. They continue to return to their high school to visit; they continue to talk about how they scored that winning touchdown to win the homecoming game/was student body president/took 1st in All-Region. Many of them still act like they are still in high school, or they talk about how bad they want to go back. They definitely attend every high school reunion (because they still live at home), but rarely do they amount to anything in life other than the manager of the local McDonald's.

I was never one of those people, at least not for high school. I mean, I enjoyed most of high school, but I was so ready to move on with my life and leave all the drama and people associated with it behind. I ran to BYU and never looked back. I became a different person. Granted not completely different, but significantly altered. I became more confident; I grew up; I became more extroverted and social; I became my own person that was independent, smart, and fun. I gained tons of friends (facebook and real life alike) and had fun and truly memorable times with those friends.

Now that I have graduated from BYU, moved back in with my family, have a full-time job and a smaller group of friends than I did at BYU, I almost feel like that one person that wants to relive their high school days, only for me it's my days at BYU. Many times, recently, I've thought to myself that I wish I was back with my friends in Provo, just barely getting by on 5 hours of sleep because we had stayed up too late making a music video, or just talking. I know that in the moment while at BYU, I was so excited to finally be done with school But now that I am out and no longer in that environment, I want so bad to go back. I miss my friends and the ability to just gather them up on a weekend to go do something random and fun.

It's not that I don't have friends here because I do. But, I feel like because we are all in different places in our lives, and living in different places throughout the metroplex, I can't just call them up to do something at the last minute. I have to plan ahead, and if I don't have plans for that weekend, I just chill with my family. Which is okay, but after a while I desperately need interaction with people my own age. I just keep thinking how great it would be to go back to Provo and be with my friends up there. But, unlike those who want to stay in high school, I know that if I did go back, it still wouldn't be the same. Everyone, including myself, has changed, and it's impossible for me to go back.

So, while I can still relive those good times in my memory, I've decided that I need to make do with my current situation and have a positive attitude towards it (because I can't change the situation, I can only change how I react to it). In the hopes of trying to make my situation better (or rather easier for me to deal with), I've made the goal that I will try to meet at least one new person every week.

Today I met Matt.

Perhaps I should include in my goal to find out more about them besides their name. I'll do better next week.

2 comments:

Mary said...

A. Men. (about loving BYU and remembering how AMAZING it is). And good for your for meeting people. Is Matt in D-11?

Miss Nesbit said...

Yes, Matt is in D-11. But I met him right before Sunday School started, so all I know is that his name is Matt.