Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Holiday Juxtaposition

I know that I seem to revisit this topic every year, but it's because it just seems so ridiculous to me. I don't know why I seem to be so passionate about this topic, I've tried to think about it, and I really can't come up with a good excuse. Are we really in that big of a hurry to get through the end of the year/ holidays? It's not even exciting any more because there's no time to get anxious because everything is all out already. It's almost tempting and taunting you because they put out all of this winter stuff, so you buy it out of excitment for the coming season. But you can't put it up because your house will look ridiculous because it's still autumn.

This year it seemed that this occurance of stores supplying holiday decorations months in advance seemed a great deal earlier than I remember it being. Now I know some stores have it all of the time. Like Hobby Lobby, for example, has had Christmas (along with Halloween, Fall, and Thanksgiving) stuff up since July. But I seem to ignore this because it's a craft store. I feel like they always have all their holiday stuff up all year cause people make holiday gifts way in advance.
Other stores, like Target for example, started putting up holiday stuff around September. I walked into Target towards the middle of September and this is what I saw:

While walking down the aisle, on one side is creepy skeletons and Halloween decor, and on the other is happy snowmen, reindeer, and Santas. I thought it was so humourous and ridiculous and absurd all at the same time that I had to take a picture with my cell phone. Don't you just love the juxtaposition of this:

with this:
So ridiculous... I'm sure it confuses many children. It is no fun anymore if it seems like all the holidays get all mushed together. They have to be distinct and separate. Now I'm not saying you can't sell Christmas stuff till the day after Thanksgiving, but can we at least have Halloween stuff out by itself for a while during October before we start pulling out all the Christmas stuff to sell? (Don't get me started on how alot of the fall/Thanksgiving decor was in the dollar section).

In other news, my first journal that I edited came in today, and my name is in print on the first page! I feel so famous and important. Not that lots of people read it, but it makes me feel special. Be on the look out for another post pretty soon because I feel like my opinions in regards to the economy/politics merits at least one post... perhaps two.

1 comment:

B said...

Amen. :) Believe you me, after working at a craft store for years and starting to get headaches from the ridiculously-strongly-scented Christmas cinnamon pinecones in AUGUST, I hear ya.

P.S. I got a kick out of reading your profile, Mattie. Yes, basically, you're awesome. :)