Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Recession? What?

Like I said in my previous post, I felt that my opinions on the current state of the economy needed to be voiced. I've read many news articles, seen many news broadcasts/ interviews, and watched many an episode of the Colbert Report. All of these sources tell me that Wall Street is in chaos and the stock markets continue to drop several points in one day. I really don't know how the system works, and I really don't know what it all means; however, I feel like we are making the problem worse by worrying. Many are even tossing around the word depression, which only frightens the stock brokers more, which in turn makes the DOW drop.

I know that it is bad; I'm not denying that. I'm not saying it's all in our head and if we only just believed, things would get better. But, I think that while it is bad, worrying about it is not going to do any good; it will just make us feel worse. I honestly believe it is (although it sounds extremely cliche) a sign of the times. I think that this recession/ mini-depression/ downward spiral (or whatever else you want to call it) was something that was bound to happen, and in many ways, needed to happen.


The way that the majority of our society was living needed to be called into question, and hopefully this turn in our economy was a wake-up call to those living way beyond their means. Excessiveness is not necessary and is harmful. No, you don't need that fourth house (or the second or third for that matter); no, you don't need that $500 purse/ pair of shoes (or any other accessory/piece of clothing ). While I feel sorry for those who have truly lost everything (jobs, house, savings), I do not feel sorry for those CEOs that have to "survive" in their mansion by selling their fifth car.


I guess I have mixed feelings about what has happened as a result of the downturn in our economy, but in a lot of ways I think it is good. It made people see that the way their life was going wasn't good for them in the long run, and that we can rise above this like we have before. I always think that looking on the bright side is always the best way to come out of these crises on top. What is the bright side? Well, yes the stock market is going down, but so are the gas prices! Just look at how much it it was a few days ago (it has gone down even more now-- $2.19).


No comments: