Sunday, August 01, 2010

What's Important?

You know how some Sundays you just kind of go through the motions, but then there are other Sundays where you actually pay attention and you get something out of the lessons you hear. Well, I'm sad to admit that I've had more of the former kind of Sundays lately, and I realize this is my fault. But, today, I don't know what it was, (perhaps I subconsciously decided to listen instead of play on my iPod) I had a very meaningful Sunday where I actually learned something.

In Relief Society our lesson was about Thomas S. Monson's talk "Finding Joy in the Journey." In the talk President Monson talks about a man in the Vietnam War who was shot down and captured:
In the 1960s, during the Vietnam War, Church member Jay Hess, an airman, was shot down over North Vietnam. For two years his family had no idea whether he was dead or alive. His captors in Hanoi eventually allowed him to write home but limited his message to less than 25 words. What would you and I say to our families if we were in the same situation—not having seen them for over two years and not knowing if we would ever see them again? Wanting to provide something his family could recognize as having come from him and also wanting to give them valuable counsel, Brother Hess wrote—and I quote: “These things are important: temple marriage, mission, college. Press on, set goals, write history, take pictures twice a year.”
President Monson continues saying, "Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows."

Our teacher then gave us each a piece of paper and asked us to imagine ourselves in a similar situation. What would we tell our families what we thought was the most important? This is what I wrote:
Family is important; spend as much time with them as you can. Cherish your friendships. Love with all your heart even when you think it might not be appreciated. Live the gospel because it is the one truth that will get you through this life and into the next. Serve everyone especially when you don't feel like it because that's when you need to serve the most. Laugh and be happy because life is too short not to.
She then asked us to think about our lives and if we are actually living what we think is important, and if we are not, change so that we are. So with that I ask you, what's important?

6 comments:

jessica said...

Ummm, I LOVE this post. Totally needed it tonight. You know me so well ;)

Miss Nesbit said...

You are so very welcome! :)

Alison said...

I got a lot out of Sunday this week too--especially our RS lesson. Glad I wasn't the only one. :)

Here's what I wrote:

Learn to truly invite the Spirit; it will make everything that you do or say in its presence in the name of the Lord--conveying meaning when words are inadequate. Love others even when it's hard. Don't let them control you or run over you, but give them many chances and try to see things from their perspective. Work toward the temple and then live your life so you're always worthy to go. Ask for help from Heavenly Father and others, and then humble yourself enough to accept it. It's good to plan, talk things out with others, and pray, but ultimately you need to not only make a decision, but then act on it. Strength is having the fortitude to pick yourself up when you feel weak, and keep going.

Miss Nesbit said...

Alison, thank you so much for posting that!!! That actually helped me alot just now. :)

Wes said...

I really love the idea of finding joy in the journey. Even crappy experiences make great stories in retrospect and remember that as you're experiencing it helps make it more enjoyable.

Miss Nesbit said...

Too true, Wes. Too true!