Friday, September 02, 2011

FOTW: Sherlock Edition

So after putting it off FOREVER, I finally had time to sit down and watch Sherlock (and the fact that it was streaming on Netflix helped a lot). It is only 3 episodes (but the new season should be coming out soon!!!) but they are awesome. It is of course about Sherlock Holmes, but it's a modern day version where Watson is an army doctor recently returned from Afghanistan suffering post-traumatic stress and Sherlock is a consulting detective who mainly only communicates through text message. Not only are the actors superb, but the design, costumes, and graphics are so unique and awesome and makes the show so enjoyable to watch both for the humor and the mystery.

Ok... so now that I've thoroughly convinced you to watch this show if you haven't already, let's get back to the actors:


One of my faves Martin Freeman plays Watson (first set of pictures in slideshow). Most of you probably know his previous work, but most notably he plays Tim in the British Office (British counterpart to Jim in the American version) and is Arthur Dent in The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He's appeared in other things like Love Actually, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, and he will be playing Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming The Hobbit movies! He is definitely not like a super sexy gorgeous man, but he is cute and the characters he plays are so endearing (so I mean clearly that's how he is in real life of course). And, any man who says, "Why does everyone have to pretend to be stupid and not know long words?" is after my own heart and I will love him forever.

Then as Sherlock we have someone whose name I just love to say: Benedict Cumberbatch. I mean come on, just his name alone is awesome. Not to mention that he is a VERY good Sherlock and actor in general. So good, in fact, that after seeing Sherlock (and falling in love with him and his character), I didn't realize I had seen him in another movie. I was explaining to a friend about my new found love, and she reminded me that he actually plays a super creepy pervert dude in Atonement. After remembering that that was indeed him, I was devastated! I mean clearly he played that character well enough for me to second guess me liking him, which after I got over my initial shock, made me like him as an actor even more. He's been in The Other Boleyn GirlAmazing Grace (which I've been told is very good and I should watch it) and even played Stephen Hawking in Hawking. He's also going to be in the new Hobbit movies as the voice of Smaug/Necromancer! Interesting fact: He apparently taught English in a Tibetan monastery. Cool right?

I'm way excited for the new season of Sherlock to come out and obviously for The Hobbit to come out as well! These two actors work very well together and play an excellent Watson/Sherlock pair.
Although my heart will always belong to RDJ whose Sherlock Holmes sequel comes out in December, I think Benedict Cumberbatch might be one of my favorite Sherlocks.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I'm sad the slideshow isn't playing on my computer, but your post makes me want to watch the series now.

Miss Nesbit said...

Erika, I'm sorry it didn't work! Maybe it requires flash or something? I'm not sure. Here's the link to the album if that helps at all: https://picasaweb.google.com/102012342994846750235/Sherlock?authuser=0&feat=directlink