Sunday, June 01, 2008

Accident

I hit a bird today. A total and complete accident. However, being the budding writer that I am, I tend to look at things from other perspectives. I'm sure from the bird's perspective, it wasn't an accident.

I'm not even sure what kind of bird it was. I'm hoping that it was a pigeon because we have enough of those around that at least by human standards it won't be missed. Although, from the bird's perspective, it will be. I'm sad to say that I'm pretty sure I saw two birds; it had a buddy.

I was driving down the street, and these two birds (I'm positive I only hit one) flew directly into my car (the bumper). Maybe they were fighting and not paying attention? I thought to myself, don't birds usually fly away when a car comes? I heard a thud, and when I looked in the rearview mirror, I just saw tons of feathers blowing away. Perhaps I only knocked it unconscious or stunned it; then of course, maybe it's lying there on the side of the street in a crumpled heap dead with no chance of revival. I didn't have the heart to stop and look (I did slow down though), and I sure as heck wasn't going to touch it let alone provide CPR.

I pulled into my driveway and gave my bumper a once over, and there was no incriminating evidence. I felt slightly sad and guilty (probably why I'm posting this), but then I went back to more important things like eating dinner (yeah, it was chicken). I got really sad on the way home when I kept thinking about the bird's perspective. Would the other one go get help? Would he stay with him, keep him comfort? Would there be a funeral? I'm sure the other one kept asking himself why they flew in front of the car in the first place. I bet he was feeling guilty too.

I hit a bird today; a total accident. Whether it was truly dead or not, I did have a small moment of silence and imagined a funeral for it, just in case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha I can just imagine a big poof of feathers.

Too bad for the bird though..