Sunday, June 15, 2008

Being New

It's always hard to be the new person no matter your type of personality; some are just better at pretending they're not scared than others. Now, those that know me might question the fact that I don't like being the new person and that I am rather shy around people I don't know. I'm sorry to tell you, but I am one of those people that can pretend very well. With my friends, I am very outgoing and loud, but when I am with strangers, I keep to myself, sit in the corner, and don't talk to anyone. Shocking, I know, but it's true. I really, really have to try to put myself out there, and I have to force myself to talk to others. I think maybe it's the fact that I feel like I'm being judged or something; I don't know, I haven't quite figured this out about myself.

Well after returning home after graduating, I have had to force myself quite a bit because I have been thrust into many new and different situations. I told myself that I had to find some friends before my birthday so I could actually do something for my birthday--a party of sorts. So, in order to accomplish this goal, I told myself, I had to really pretend to not be scared and meet as many people as I can. What new situations was I thrust into, you might ask? Well, when I came home, my family had moved to a new house, so I have to get used to a new city. I had to familiarize myself with the people in my family's ward since I didn't know who they were talking about anymore. I acquired a part time job at Bath and Body Works in which I have to meet all my co-workers, and most importantly, I am attending the Singles' Ward in Dallas.

Ahh the Single's Ward. I have, in my short life, attended a total of 6 singles wards (7 if you count the present one). I have definitely had experience, but this singles ward is different. All of the ones I attended previously were student wards, so we all had one more thing in common on top of the fact that we were all single and lived in the same place; we all attended a university in the area. Here, the only thing in common we have is the fact that right now, in this point in time, we are living in the Dallas area and are currently unmarried. Some people here are attending college, some haven't quite started college yet, some have already graduated, some have full-time jobs, some are only here for the summer, and still others are visiting.

There are a few faces that seem familiar to me because I have seen them at church; however, there are still others that I see once and then never see again. With that being the case, it's hard to put yourself out there every week; I mean, it's exhausting! So, what's the status so far? Do I have enough friends to make a party? Hmmm not quite, but I have gained a few more facebook friends... a great start in my opinion for a facebook event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's just like me! Fake it till you make it!