Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Non-Date

I apologize to those of you who have already heard this story from me already. I'll try to keep it succinct because I'm sure you don't want to hear about it again. Here goes:

On Christmas Eve, this guy from Church called me to go to the movies with him that day. My family wasn't really doing anything till later on, so I agreed to go with him. Honestly, I should have just stayed at home playing Rockband with my brother. So, he picks me up and pays for the movie, so this is sort of like a date, right? WRONG! The entire time he cried and boo-hooed/whined to me about his ex-girlfriend and how he couldn't understand why she broke up with him because he totally thought she was the "one"! Oh... my... gosh. Seriously? So I knew from the moment I got into his car on the way to the movie theater, this was not a date.

Maybe he sees me as a friend (even though we've only spoken for more than 5 min. one other time before), so I decide to try to help him by giving him advice on what to say to this girl and how to get over this situation. Nope, that didn't work; I could tell he didn't want to hear it.

So then, I think maybe he wants a distraction. I try to change the subject to something a little happier--Christmas. Well, not only does it bring him back to his ex-girlfriend (Side note: We talked about the weather and he had to tell me the weather in the place where his ex is vacationing. Can we say obsessed? I did and told him so.), he brings up that his family isn't having Christmas because his dad got laid off.

By the time he was dropping me off at home after the movie, he had told me how he broke up with his girlfriend, his dad got laid off, he misses his brother because he left on a mission, and his grandmother just got diagnosed with cancer. To sum up he told me that 2008 had been the crappiest year of his life. Wow...

The movie wasn't even that great either. I think I was more than helpful and nice with the situation. I tried my best, but believe me when I got home, boy was I so happy to be there with my annoying brothers. Let's hope I don't have a repeat experience. Yeah, definitely not a date.

1 comment:

Erin Marie said...

Your blog is awesome! You are a good writer. Sorry about your non-date. Poor lil crazy/obsessed guy!