Thursday, January 29, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Since we are nearing the end of the first month of the year, I figured I should probably say something about New Year's Resolutions. Here's the deal... I'm actually not a huge fan of them. I used to buy into the whole tradition of setting a goal for the year, but I always seemed to fail before the month was out and/or my resolution was something near impossible to begin with. I've learned, however, that making resolutions isn't a bad thing, for many people it helps them focus and accomplish goals. But, for the rest of us normal people, we usually give up. Why? Because we are creatures of habit, and although we commit at the first of every year to change our ways, time and time again we only slip back into them.

Now because I notice this trend in myself, for a few years I never set actual goals and what not. I always told myself that my one resolution (the main one, anyway) was to be a better person than I was the year before. I never used to have specifics, but I would try to just be better, nicer, more confident, etc. than I was. While this is great and fantastic, it's hard to measure your progress if you don't have specific things to look at. And, it's hard to accomplish a goal without a game plan. As a friend of mine always says, "Plan for success."

With that said, I decided this year, since it's my first official year as a real-world, working adult, I should probably have a set, written plan for things that would make me a better person. I'm not going to share all of them with the world because many of them are personal (be more spiritual, more healthy, etc.--I have more specifics/plans, so don't you worry), but I will share the ones that you can help me with and the ones I'm most excited about (that's right, I'm excited for a few of my resolutions). First there's the usual/normal ones:
  • Finish reading several of the books on my shelf (some of which I have started, but haven't finished), namely The Host, Breaking Dawn, The Princess Bride, and I Am America (And So Can You). (I also had another one on the list that I just finished! YAY!)
  • Finish some projects: Photo album, graduation scrapbook, and Mom & Dad's stockings (which were started when I was in middle school/high school... I know I'm pathetic).

Then there are the ones that you can help me with/remind me of:

  • Write on my blog more often, meaning at least once a week.
  • Be a nicer, kinder person: do something nice, even if it's something small like a smile or compliment, for someone everyday without the hope or expectation of being acknowledged, thanked, or recognized; do it because you want to.
  • In that same tone--volunteer more often, do something service-oriented at least one a month.

Ok, and now, apart from my favorite goal of catching up on movie-watching, this one is the one I'm most excited for!

  • Do something new and different/learn something new every month.

Each month I listed something that I was going to do. Now because I kind of want to keep some of them a surprise and show you the documentation of my newly acquired skill/experience, I'm not going to list all of them. However, I'm on a fantastic start because January was to learn how to sew a skirt. That's right, I sewed a skirt (blog post with pictures coming soon). And as an enticement for you... for the month of February I'm learning a new dance move (or dance) and the art of flirting.

I'm so excited for this last one, and because I'm so excited and that I have a game plan, I know I'll be ok at accomplishing this one. For the others, here's the last thing I wrote on my "New Year's Resolutions" paper and I hope it helps you in your pursuit of resolutions, too:

Realize that it's never too late for anything. If I fall behind, or "fail," I can start up again or start over. What's important is that I try to be better. The fun is the journey and the growth while in the process. If I don't complete all of my goals, I just have to remember, there's always next year. :)

1 comment:

B said...

This has been a happy post to read, Mattie. Congrats on the skirt--I'm looking forward to your upcoming posts!