Friday, February 20, 2009

High School Never Ends

If you haven't heard the song "High School Never Ends" by Bowling For Soup, go over to the left and find it in my playlist and listen to it (song number 41). Go ahead, push play and then read on.

Now that I've graduated from college and have been a working adult for 8 months now, I've come to learn that this song is SO true! Not only is the tune catchy, the lyrics come a little too close to home. Now, I am going to speak in rather general terms so as not to offend, but realize many of these generalities come from very specific, personal experiences.

I always used to think that while I was in high school, I didn't experience those stereotypical people/moments that they exploit in the movies. I still can't say for sure whether that's true or not, but I did experience the really stupid high school/teenage drama, which even at the time I thought was stupid. But whether you are mature enough to realize how idiotic some of these fights/conflicts are, sometimes you still get sucked in. (Yes, even now I still get sucked into stupid drama despite the fact it has nothing to do with me.)

What's sad is, all this high school crap still happens even though we are all supposed to be grown up, mature, civilized adults; think about how popular shows/magazines like Extra, Entertainment Weekly, People Magazine, or US Weekly are. All of these contain "juicy" bits of news and gossip about the stars and celebrities. Who the heck cares? I mean, I realize people do or else these shows/magazines would have shut down already. But, if you are one of these people, why do you want to know why JLo wasn't wearing her wedding ring at the Grammys? What does the latest Paris Hilton debacle have anything to do with you?

It's just like in high school where we cared who was dating who and where the popular girls/guys got their clothes/shoes. Still, we care about what the stars are wearing, who's dating who, and every other useless piece of information. Granted, sometimes it's interesting to know about where these celebrities came from, but don't you think it's a little out of hand if we have to follow their every move?

Ok, another thing, going back to those high school days, remember how you were angry at someone or annoyed with someone, and as opposed to actually going to that person to work it out, you just complain to everyone else? So maybe you don't remember, but you know what I'm talking about. If you find someone getting on your nerves, how hard is it to approach them calmly and ask them about it? Seriously people, come on! Now I'm not saying you should go and yell at them, but expressing your concern/frustration might help them understand where you're coming from and what you mean. Finding out that someone finds you annoying from the grapevine is much more upsetting then just having the person tell you straight up to your face (at least I think so anyway).

I could go on and on because I got more examples as to why high school never ends, but I think the song does a pretty good job. I just find it so odd that everyone is so excited to grow up and be an adult, but then they still act like they are a teenager. I think the world would be a much better place if we were just honest with each other (I really believe that miscommunication is at the root of many a divorce and failed relationship/broken friendship) and focused on the things in life that were more important as opposed to wasting time and hours of our life analyzing red carpet ensembles and going through celebrity baby pictures.

Speaking of... I feel sorry for whoever's going to have to deal with all those crazy Brangelina babies at the Oscars on Sunday. I will give them this though... they are almost single-handedly keeping the economy afloat here and in Africa.

1 comment:

Lari Tanner said...

Wow, Mattie...very thoughtful. Welcome to adulthood!! It's a drag, but what's cool...is just like in High School, you find your true friends, and the people who put up with you and you them. You end up finding the people that you would have been friends with in high school, and sometimes...just sometimes...you end up marrying the guy who you thought was the biggest jerk! So, there ya go, words from your mother! (A band geek and drama nerd in high school!)