Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Quest to Replace Old Blue--Part 1

Dearest Old Blue,
We had so many great memories, didn't we? We drove from Texas to Utah and back, twice. We had some adventures in Vegas and Salt Lake City with many different people, friends, and roommates. And like any relationship, we occasionally fell on some hard times, like when your tire blew in the middle of Tuccumcari, NM, and when you shook me up when you weren't aligned, and then I had to replace several parts to keep you going. And even though you didn't have an air conditioner to keep me cool in the hot summer, I was faithful. Well, I'm sorry to say that this relationship cannot go any further. No, it isn't you; it's me. Don't worry. You will make someone else very happy. I just don't think I can keep you any longer. My needs have changed, and I have moved on. I'm sorry, but we'll always have the memories.
With sincere fondness and love, Mattie

Well, if you haven't figured it out by now, Old Blue was my car that I had all through college. It was a silvery blue, 1990 Dodge Spirit that used to belong to my grandmother. Where did it go, you might ask? Well, until very recently it was here:
Across the street... since Thanksgiving (the mailbox in the foreground is my mailbox). Yeah, I sold it to my neighbor who bought it for his sister, but kept it in his driveway, garage and in front of his house up until a week ago. Believe me, it was torture, especially the rare times in which I needed a car and didn't have access to one. Old Blue was there taunting me across the street. But now that it's no longer there, I miss it.

No, I haven't found a replacement yet, so I'm currently carpooling to work with my dad and then using my dad's car (a Kia sportage) when I need to go somewhere. So, for now it's working, and there hasn't been too many conflicts. But, while I haven't bought a new car, I am currently looking. Oh boy has this part been an adventure. This is the first installment of my four part series in the Quest to Replace Old Blue.
Part 1: I've done alot of research on the internet, and I narrowed down the kind of car I want. I want a crossover-type vehicle or small SUV. It has to be an automatic, and aside from the standard features cars come with nowadays, I would really like an iPod hook-up. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but other than that, I'm pretty flexible. Since I had done as much research as I could, I decided to test drive my new-found options.

The first place I went was a Suzuki dealership. I test drove the SX4 Crossover Vehicle:
and the SX4 Sport Sedan:I liked them ok, but the dealership was terrible! We couldn't get someone to help us (usually cars salesmen are jumping out the window to help you), and when my dad and I test drove, the salesman didn't talk to us the entire time (when I drove the Sedan he didn't even come with us). It was a very sleak and inexpensive car, which was tempting, but the salesmen sucked, and Suzuki isn't exactly known for their cars. I decided against the Suzuki and I have yet to hear from the dealership since I test drove, which was in September/October. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same luck of not being called with the next dealership....

Stay tuned for Part 2 of the Quest to Replace Old Blue.

2 comments:

B said...

Condolences. :) Way to be onward-upward thinking.

*Janae* said...

I went to mary's page and stole your url :) now we are friends again! hooray!