Friday, February 27, 2009

January--Sew a Skirt

When I was in middle school, I remember taking a Home Economics class (which my brother says is now called Skills for Living) where we learned how to cook a few select, easy meals (tacos, sloppy joes), how to properly set a table, and how to sew a button, etc. We got to pick what we could sew as our final sewing project. A pillow. I think mine was a lady bug pillow to be specific.
How often am I going to need to make a pillow? Why couldn't I have learned how to sew something more useful? Well, I decided to put a stop to my ignorance and learn how to sew something I can reuse over and over again: a skirt. I found amazing fabric at Hobby Lobby and that's where it all started.

Since my mom isn't the best seamstress in the world, I asked a very good friend of mine for her help. To prove to you of her expertise and her credentials--she has a dedicated sewing room in her house! She, luckily, agreed to help me and guide my by the hand through every step.I accidentally cut through the middle of the pattern... oops.
This is me cutting the pattern... yay!I'm actually sewing! Amazing!
I was so happy because it was actually starting to look like a skirt!TA DA!!!!! I made my skirt! Now I just have to find a shirt to go with it...YAY! Outfit complete!

I am so proud of myself, I even wore my skirt to Church on Sunday (when I was teaching no less, so many people saw it). I kind of want to sew another one, but I'm going to wait till I find some great fabric. Yay! I know how to sew something other than a pillow!

January Resolution = Accomplished

3 comments:

*Janae* said...

Way to go Mattie! I took the HFL 100 class a year ago and decided to sew a pillow case for my project. Yeah, the hardest thing ever! It looks like crap, but it still covers my pillow to this day, even though it is falling apart! :o) I love your skirt!

B said...

That's awesome, Mattie. Congrats! In my junior high sewing class, I believe I sewed pajamas but they turned out awful and until last summer I think the only thing I felt confident sewing was a button. :) But then my mom helped me make a dress and a whole new world opened up (maybe...I still haven't sewn anything else :) ). Anyway, way to go, you! It turned out really nice.

Chicken Roll Recipe:
2-3 chicken breasts, boiled til done and pulled into small pieces
1 cube butter or margarine
1 package plain cream cheese
salt & pepper
3 cans of the ready-to-use crescent rolls (the "exploding" ones, like pilsbury though store brands work too...just DON'T let the cans get warm or the roll pieces stick together and are a mess!)
Melted butter/margarine
Cornflake Crumbs
Cream of chicken soup, prepared with a little less milk than called for to make a gravy

Mix up the chicken, butter/margarine, cream cheese, and salt & pepper in a bowl. Put a small portion of the chicken mixture in a crescent roll and roll, starting from the wide end and ending with the point. Roll the closed chicken roll in butter/margarine and then in cornflake crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet a couple inches apart. Cook at 350 for 20 minutes to a half hour (til crescent rolls are golden and done). Serve with cream of chicken soup gravy. Mmmmm! Makes 24.

Erika said...

Looks great! Props for making and completing your goal!