Tuesday, April 28, 2009

April--Change a Tire/Car Maintenance

For my April resolution, I decided to ask my dad to teach me basic car maintenance like how to change a tire, jump start a car, etc. I've only had a flat tire two times in my life that I can remember, and both times there was a male with me or nearby that could help a sister out.

Since I'm planning on getting my own car soon and trying to be more knowledgeable and independent, I thought it would be best for me to know these things. There's not always going to be someone around to help me change a tire, so I should know how just in case.

So on Saturday morning, my dad helped me change a tire.

Of course, part way through my across-the-street neighbor, who's a mechanic, decided to come over to impart his knowledge on to me. I'll admit it was kind of annoying and confusing to have two guys telling me what to do as I was trying to pick up the tire to put it back on the car. (Oh, and in case you're curious, this is the same neighbor I sold my car to.)

Although I had to stand on the wrench at first to loosen the lugnuts because my arms weren't strong enough, it actually wasn't as hard or difficult as I thought it would be.

Now I'm not going to fight to change a tire if there's someone else nearby that's willing to do it. But, if I'm stranded some where with no one around, I can rest assured that I can change a tire (but if something else is wrong I'm SOL).

1 comment:

Alison said...

I'm impressed you were able to get the tire off of the car at all! They put those tires on with a powered drill thingie (that's the official name I'll have you know), and I found it almost impossible to get the tire off of my car. This was a long time ago, though. Hum . . . maybe I'll try to learn how to change a tire too.