Thursday, May 07, 2009

A Teacher's Plea

I recently sat in on another teacher's Sunday School class, which was covering the same lesson I taught the week before. It was an interesting experience. Because I had already read the material, I knew the object lesson point and I knew the answers to her questions and what she was going to talk about next.

At first, I was trying to "show her up" (because I was being arrogant) by saying her next question or next point. I could tell that my neighbor was getting annoyed so I stopped. Then I started realizing that even though I knew her next points and her subject matter, the comments of the class members are what made things more interesting to me. Everyone in this class has different life experiences that gives them unique and different perspectives to the subject. It is because of these different comments that helps make the class interesting and more helpful to other class members.

As a teacher, I absolutely love it when I have class members comment because 1) I'm not standing up there talking the whole time, and 2) because my class members might have better insight and have something more profound than what I'm saying.

So, please if you feel like you should add to the disscussion or you think of something to say, say it. No matter what it is, because it could help someone else in the class, or sometimes the class just needs a good laugh to get the blood flowing.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Will do for you, my dear. :)

Rachel Mohat said...

I guess I might be able to muster up a comment or two in your class just to be nice. But I am not sure. I will think about it! LOL I only had 18 minutes again last week to teach. The lesson still went really well. We have all these new people who are home for the summer and lots of them gave me lots of comments. It was quite nice.