Friday, May 08, 2009

Mattie's Reunion Tour to Utah

So this last week I went to Utah with the main goal of seeing any friends that were there. I didn't really have a set itinerary apart from the two wedding receptions my mom wanted me to go to. For the most part, I had fun and it was very relaxing. I got to hang out with my friends and visit all the places/restaurants I used to always go to. I will say, however, that being in Provo and especially being on campus and not being a student was kind of awkward.

It was especially upsetting with a tinge of excitement when I went to go park in the "Visitor" parking lot in front of the Wilk. I pulled up to the booth, and the guy asked, "Are you a BYU student?" I gave him a kind of a frown and said, "No. Not anymore." He then replied, "Oh, go right in and park." And while I'm sure he could've cared less that I was an alumna or not, it still felt a little odd and yet enjoyable for me to tell him I was no longer a student and actually had a right to park there in the visitor's parking lot legally since I was in fact a visitor. (I'd parked there before... back when I was a student, but that's another story).

Walking around in the BYU Bookstore and the Wilk was interesting too because I have tons of BYU stuff and yet I still wanted something to bring back with me. There's no point in bringing back another hoodie since I live in Texas, so you know what I bought? A keychain. I'm so lame.

I saw almost everyone that I wanted to see that was around, and while it wasn't like going to New York, I still had fun and it was rather unstressful. Here's a few pics of the highlights (for more pictures see my facebook). (I forgot to take pics in the first half of my trip, so I apologize to all those I forgot to get pics with.)
My friend Spencer finally did the "Orange" trick for me! Basically you pick a card, and he rips it up and gives you a piece. Then magically the card is fully intact (except for the torn piece) inside an orange! It's amazing; I don't know how he did it, and I don't want to know cause I like the magic trick. Thank you Spencer!
As a belated birthday present, I bought Melissa a cookie press. (Thanks Melissa for letting me stay with you and crash on your couch!) I really wanted to see how it worked, so we made cookies. This is Melissa posing with her cool cookies. Although, I will say after a few icing fiascos, she doesn't claim icing them and blames it on my inability to decorate cookies neatly.This was a sign in front of the Glenwood. What was so funny was that as we passed it, Melissa says, "Got friends? Nope, thanks for reminding me." Freakin' hilarious!This is me on the 4th floor of the JFSB feeling a little odd taking a picture of myself. Luckily, there was no one around to notice (Side note: If you haven't already, check out the cool exhibit about Education in Zion on the 3rd floor. Way comfy chairs.).Finally, this was my rental car. I know, ugly. It's a Chevy HHR and looks like an elongated PT Cruiser (which I've always thought of as a baby hearse). My defense is it was the only one the rental people had unless I wanted to wait around for them to find another car that was done getting washed. I didn't feel like waiting so I just took it. Despite it's rather harsh exterior, it drove rather nicely and it had cool radio features. Also, it's a hybrid "flex fuel" car, which means that driving around Provo (and up to Lindon and Orem) for 6 days, from Salt Lake to Provo, from Provo to Kaysville and back, and then back from Provo to Salt Lake, I never filled up on gas. When I filled up in Salt Lake to bring it back to the rental place it was just barely less than half a tank. Pretty sweet, right?

Thank you to everyone that made my trip awesome and letting me get to catch up and see you! You guys are amazing, and I'm so glad we're friends. I don't know when I'll be back, but if I do have a second reunion tour, I'll let you know.

Now, unfortunately, it's back to the adult working life for me.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I'm glad you're back here! Boooooooooo! on you for being gone. :P But I'm happy that you had fun. :)