Saturday, March 21, 2009

Second Guessing Spontaneity

*Note: I apologize for not posting last week, I did have a post that I was writing, but I haven't finished it yet. Here's one in the meantime.

You know those people that can just on a whim fly to the Bahamas or New York and not go into debt? (I'm not sure how often this happens in the current economic state of the world, although maybe it happens more now because of the economy.) Yeah, I'm not one of those people, mainly because I can't afford it. I usually have a date and destination in mind, then I wait to see if there will be a discount on plane tickets before I actually go any where.

Recently, I had the first two taken care of. I was planning on going January 15th-ish to Utah for my friend's wedding (and to go to the Sundance Film Festival). With these basic elements, I waited for Travelocity to email me when the flights were cheaper. After a few months, I finally got the email, and I believe flights were about $120 or so. I was so excited, but because I was at work, I decided it might be best to wait till I got home in an hour. Not to mention that I was also thinking to myself that maybe I should save my money instead of going to Utah.

Well, by the time I got home and checked to buy the ticket, the prices had gone back up over $200! I was so mad at myself for missing such a great opportunity/bargain. So, I told myself that if there was a low price again on a flight to Utah, I was just going to buy it right then and there whether or not I had a date/reason in mind. Another one didn't come in time to go to my friend's wedding and the film festival, which was ok. But, another one did come, and since I made a promise to myself, I bought it.

I picked a date when I knew I had a Friday off (since I'd go over a weekend), when I knew my family hadn't planned anything, and when I knew it wouldn't conflict with my work. I was ready to proceed and receive my confirmation number. After everything was entered, they then told me that if I wanted to cancel, I could receive a full refund until Monday, which was in 3 days.

Well of course, I'm thinking, "Oh, maybe I shouldn't go." I was second-guessing my decision to be spontaneous. Perhaps, I should cancel and save my money. Maybe I should stay and work. I hate myself for over-thinking everything! I finally got tired of debating with myself (after all I had already bought the ticket), and thought, "Screw it; I'm going and that's that."

Best decision I've made. I'm so excited to go, see my friends, and just be on vacation. (I'll be in Utah April 30th-May 5th. If you're going to be too, tell me so we can meet up!) It'll be weird being in Utah as a non-student, but it's an experience I'm willing to have. Utah be ready... I'm coming back for more!

1 comment:

*Janae* said...

i will be here!