Sunday, March 08, 2009

Why I Should be the DJ for the YSA Dances

You know how everyone hates "stake dances"? Throughout my youth, up through my college years at BYU, and now as a young single adult, people still place this stigma on the dances. I am not one of those; I love dancing. I'm ok with making a complete fool of myself while I get my groove on because I'm having fun, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. Lately, however, the musical selection at these YSA dances have been rather subpar. I can't boogie down to music that isn't familiar or doesn't have an interesting rhythm. I also like to have a variety of music. This variety hasn't quite happened in the last few dances. Now we don't really have a "DJ" per say; it's a laptop with iTunes that this one guy plays. All I have to say is, this guy doesn't know how to make a very good playlist.

Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I like a wide variety of music and so can pick music that will appeal to everyone. I mean if I'd want to dance to it, it'll be on the playlist. The last dance had quite a bit of rap that you can really only dance one way to, and after 1 song, you're read to move on. They played the same kind of songs several in a row. Then the very few slow songs that there were, they were all country slow songs. While I'm not a huge fan of country, I can stand a few songs, but not every song.

I know that I would put a playlist together that would have a variety--a little bit of everything--a few more slow songs than normal, and the same kind of songs would not play back to back. My playlist of songs you could actually dance to, and there'd be something for everyone: country, pop, hip-hop, rap, swing, oldies, 80s, 90s, R&B, rock, etc.

Vote for me for the next YSA dance DJ!

2 comments:

*Janae* said...

You SO have my vote!

Lari said...

Don't you have to be cool to be a DJ? he he...J/K...