Sunday, March 29, 2009

February--Dancing and Flirting

For February, I decided to learn the art of flirting and learn a new dance (for my resolution of doing/learning something new every month). (I also continued this through March, as for why, you'll find out in a later post.) A friend of mine suggested that I read a very enlightening book that she loaned me to help me in my pursuit of learning how to flirt, which I will discuss a bit further down.

Another group of friends took me to a restaurant in Dallas called Gloria's that not only has delicious Mexican food, but on the weekends they have dancing. I learned to salsa dance, which I sort of already knew how to do, but this time I actually danced with someone. I had a blast! It was so much fun! I'm still not very good at salsa dancing, but, really, who cares? I forgot my camera, and although a friend took a few pictures, none of them were of me dancing. But, that's ok, hopefully I'll go again some time and I'll take pictures then.

As for flirting, a friend loaned me An LDS Girl's Guide to Getting a Date by Dr. Brent Barlow. It was a pretty fast read, and it indeed was very enlightening. I took notes and everything! It had lots of tips and techniques, all of which I plan to implement in the future. While I haven't actually practiced flirting, I did gather something meaninful from the book that I'll share with you.

In the book, he emphasized that you really have to love yourself before someone else can love you or before you can love someone else. As a way to increase your self-esteem and love for yourself, he suggests that you write a love letter to yourself. While this might sound rather arrogant, I do not mean the following letter to be. I'm writing things that I love about myself that hopefully someone else will love about me too. Here is my love letter:

"Dear Mattie, These are the reasons why I love you: You are funny and have a wonderful, albeit occasionally sarcastic, sense of humor. I love that you are the same person all the time. You aren't fake with people and are yourself. I love that you can be friends with almost anyone, and while there is always people who you don't like/become friends with, you can still get along with them. I love that you are outgoing and are willing to go out of your comfort zone to make a new friend or to include someone. I love that you can be truly, although sometimes brutally, honest with people. I love that you are smart and mature, and while there is still much for you to learn, you are willing to keep learning and are humble enough to realize that you do indeed need to learn more. You are a truly amazing and awesome person, and I love you for that. And someday, someone else will too. Love, You."

3 comments:

Alison said...

Girl, you MUST share your notes . . . cause I know myself and I won't read the book, but I will poach your notes. I like the letter a lot. :)

Lari said...

Hmm, that's a new one, who wrote that book again? Just be yourself, and the flirting thing will come naturally. Guys will notice if they like you, but really being yourself will be the thing that get's you somewhere!

Lindsay said...

I had not clue that Dr Barlow wrote such a book! I laughed at that (and I was in the library when I did). Your letter was really great. It is really refreshing to see someone ffocus on positive things!