Saturday, December 12, 2009

Feeling a Little "Scrooge-ish"

When I was younger, I used to love Christmas. I mean, I still do, but I used to go all out. I was one of those people that started listening to Christmas music early, sometimes even as early as July (yeah... I was one of those people...). I couldn't wait till the day after Thanksgiving when my family would put up the tree and all the decorations. Wrapping presents was my fave! Even after I knew about Santa Claus, I still couldn't wait till Christmas morning and to see the excited looks on my family's faces when we each took turns opening our gifts.

While Christmas is still one of my favorite holidays, the last couple of years my joy and excitement for the season has gone down. I really didn't help my family put up much of the decorations; I haven't been listening to Christmas music all that much. I'm still excited about giving presents, but the normal Christmas spirit, I feel, is lacking and in turn leaving me feel Scrooge-ish.

My thing is, I've been thinking about it, but I can't figure out why. I'm really trying to be a little more cheery, but I'm not my usual Christmas self. Is this how it's going to be now, now that I'm all grown up? I hope not. I have no excuse not to be in a good mood, but for some reason, Christmas is feeling a bit like a thing I have to do/get done, rather than what it's actually supposed to be: A celebration of Christ's birth.

I'm slightly getting back in the spirit, I'm just a little behind. Hopefully, I'll be up to speed by the time Christmas rolls around. Snap out of it, Mattie! Remember the reason for the season! :)

Maybe I just need a pint of eggnog and to watch some movies from the Christmas canon.

No comments: