Saturday, February 05, 2011

I've made real progress...

As some of you may have heard, the lovely state of Texas was confused by the powers that be for some other state like Michigan or Wisconsin, and us poor Texans didn't know what to do and pretty much shut down the state for four days. School was canceled, my work was canceled, most of the shops and stores either closed or were only open for a few hours, and the grocery store shelves were emptied of all staple foods. The local news was dominated by footage of icy road conditions, and much like police chases, we had continuous coverage of semi trucks jack-knifing on the icy highway along with breaking news of snow and ice falling from Cowboys stadium (you know because the Superbowl is going to be there tomorrow). We had rolling blackouts to conserve the energy and maintain the integrity of the power grid, and most of us holed up inside of our homes, only venturing out for the necessities, which of course led to mean cases of cabin fever. Some went days without seeing another human being.
Everyone had decided this was....

THE SNOWPOCALYPSE!!!!!!

For those in other states where snow and cold weather is the norm, I'm sure this was your reaction to us:


Well, I don't know about you guys that were stuck in the house, but I used my time to work on all those things I wrote about in my last post. I was super proud of myself because I mostly just wanted to sleep and watch TV (which I did plenty of, mind you).  I edited 2 chapters of one of those books, worked on school and church stuff, and made real progress on my dad's stockings (I have now finished more than half the colors that are used!).

I do have some bad news though...

My mom's stocking is never going to be completed (at least not by me).

I had a friend who volunteered to help me get started on my mom's stocking, and even she was telling me I'm never going to have it done in time. It's a counted cross-stitch, and the pattern is a bit complicated, at least for the cross-stitch dabbler. Well, my mom can't go without a stocking, so I searched online for a new kit that was more like my dad's (read easier to do cause I don't have to count anything and just have to fill in the colors that are already painted on the material).

So, this is my mom's new stocking, currently on its way from Utah to Texas:

Hopefully this pattern will be a little easier and I can finish it within the year.
Yes, I've made some real progress all thanks to the SNOWPOCALYPSE!!!!!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Way to go! Being stuck at home all day does really make you think about how you spend your time.

Miss Nesbit said...

Haha yes it does, and unfortunately most of it was spent sleeping and watching TV. But I enjoyed the heck out of it!