Sunday, November 01, 2009

Bummer Halloween Weekend

I didn't use to be into Halloween (that is when I was too old to go Trick or Treating to get candy), but I think I started getting back into more when I was in college. My senior year, I even had a Halloween party. Well now that I've graduated and living at home, I have found friends that enjoy Halloween just as much as I do. Even my place of work makes Halloween into a big deal... or at least they used to. Last year, Halloween at work was awesome and we decorated it really cool. Our department even won a prize last year for best decorations!

I was excited this year for a great Halloween, I already knew what I was going to be, and my schedule was already booked up for that weekend of Halloween. Work Halloween was going to kick things off on Thursday, then Friday we were having a Dracula book club, and then Saturday, Halloween, I was going to a party! This year was going to be awesome! Little did I know that other circumstances would foil what would have been another fun-filled Halloween weekend.

For various reasons, be it busy-ness, economy, etc., work Halloween ended up being a real bummer, at least in my building. Over in the other building, there were still plenty of fun and food to be had, but where I am, there weren't too many people that dressed up, and the food comprised of a bowl of dip, a bowl of goldfish, and a bowl of cheetos/chex mix (they were together in the same bowl). Our theme was "Television," and while the front door looked pretty amazing:
(That's right, I made it.), the rest of the decorations were printed up, pixelated pictures of random TV shows taped up on the wall and a "TV schedule" of people that were participating. There was a whole side of the floor that refused to participate and even put up this sign: I mean I realize that they don't like/celebrate Halloween, but that doesn't mean they have to put up a rude sign saying not to come over there. (I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but I don't put up a sign saying "No Jews." Ok, so maybe it's a bit extreme, but I thought the sign was really not necessary.)

Anyway, I was kind of bummed after the work Halloween, since it was pretty sad. Friday was okay. Book club was fun, but I got confused on the times, so I was late. Then we watched Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is disturbing and disgusting (but not in the way you would think), and is totally not like the book. They definitely sexed it up for the movie.

Then, Saturday, I hung out with the family and finished getting my costume ready. I helped my parents pass out some candy and walked down the street to get some donuts and cider they were passing out for the adults. Around 9ish I finished getting ready and set out for the awesome Halloween party in Carrollton. Yeah, an hour and a half later, I had finally found my way back home. I had missed the turn off or something, and ended up driving all around Dallas and Garland and parts of Lewisville and Irving just trying to find my way back. It was an adventure. I was pretty angry at myself cause I could have called someone, but I was being stubborn and thought I could figure it out. So, I didn't make it to the party, unfortunately, and I finally called my mom to get me home (this was around 11).

This Halloween was kind of a bummer. But, at least I know what I'm going to be next year. I got the costume all ready...

1 comment:

Alison said...

:(

But just think: We now can laugh endlessly about the "boob buffet". :)