Thursday, November 05, 2009

Fun Times With Google

(I'm trying to make up for my lack of posts in October; can you tell?)

I'm sure we've all used Google for other things besides research, right? We've googled ourselves (don't lie, you know you have). We've even used it as a fortune teller of sorts. Have you tried the "(Your name) needs" and then seeing what comes up? Such as... "Traci needs a good map to Vegas." Or perhaps, "(Your name) wants"? If you haven't, you should because sometimes it can be really funny. In my case, it's just sad because tons of people name their dogs "Mattie" so most of mine are "Mattie needs a good home." I'm sure there lots of variations of Google as Oracle that you have tried/can try to get some entertainment.

Well, inspired by this Slate article in which they use the Google search guesses (the predictive searches that appear when you start typing) to find hilarity between "less intelligent" and "more intelligent" searches. For example, typing "how 2" brings up significantly different results than "how might one" (for more funny searches, click the link for the article).

While, I'm not going to try my hand at the more/less intelligent searches, I was curious to find out what my fellow googlers are searching for (which is where Google gets its suggestions to your searches). So, here's the funny results I found: I hope Google helped whoever that person is who wanted to know what to do with his life. I also enjoyed Google predicting what the person was going to have for dinner. Yes, because I too want to know how to own a Canadian. And, I just don't understand the reflection in the television one.Ahhh poor kid, why don't girls answer him back on facebook? Google, please tell him.All of the "learn how to" searches seem pretty generic until you get to "learn how to type for free." Ummm... who's charging you to type? Did you just have to pay to type that phrase into Google? (Yes, I do know what it actually means, I just thought that was humorous at first glance.) Really? Who loves getting cursed at? I don't get it. (On this one, it kept bring up lyrics, so I just kept typing until it brought up something funny.) Ok, last one: Ummm pretty sure all of these are hilarious. Obviously these googlers have alot of bodily problems... which probably lead to the one that doesn't have any friends.

Ok, now it's your turn. Try to find hilarious search suggestions, and let me know if you find some awesome ones. When I get bored, I'm definitely turning to Google to entertain me.

No comments: