Monday, May 10, 2010

Graduate Student Orientation Fun

I'm lying. It wasn't that fun. But there were some funny things that happened and that I noticed that I thought perhaps you would find amusing.

The clip I included below is my story of what happened to me when I went a little early to the orientation to get my student ID card. (I apologize if you've already heard it. If so, feel free to skip listening to it.)
It was interesting. But on to the main event!

I went into the room where orientation was and of course it was all decked out in UTD colors (green, orange, and white). They even had balloon towers of the colors. I picked a table that was towards the back that no one was sitting at so I could eat my lunch quickly without disturbing anyone before it started. No one was really talking to each other, but I loved how all the nerdy kids with their laptops out all gravitated towards the front and center of the room and sat at the same table together. (Have I told you about my theory about where you sit in a room/class says what kind of person you are? Remind me, and I'll tell you some time.)

The orientation was supposed to start at 2:30; it didn't start till almost 3 (freakin' ridiculous). The guy claimed he was waiting for the other people that signed up. Here's what I say to that, buddy... This is for graduate students. If they still haven't learned how to be on time and show up to something, they don't deserve to have us wait for them to come.

Oh! Speaking of the fact that it was for graduate students... one of them brought their mom. Their MOM to GRADUATE student orientation. Ummmm, really? Granted I can't be for sure, but seeing as they looked alike, one was older looking than the other, and there was only 1 packet between them, it had to have been her mom. Who brings their mom to graduate student orientation? Isn't that only a 1st year of college freshman thing? That mom and/or daughter really just needs to let go. Seriously.

Once the presentation finally started, they covered the basic, essential things. Financial aid, registrar, library, counseling/student resources, etc. Interestingly, the number for the campus police ends in 2222, which was the same number for the BYU campus police. Is this a universal college campus police number? But, I digress. So after the New Student Orientation director dude finished his presentation, he had the Dean of Students come and do her spiel. She was really boring, and the majority of her speech had to do with warning us about safety and telling us we need to be careful about what we put up on Facebook. She went on and on about security and how they don't want another Virgina Tech, which only makes me wonder... Is there something you're not telling us about your campus? Is there something I should've known before applying to this school? Cause, I mean, obviously this security thing is an issue for you and your campus if you keep going on and on about it.

Finally after she quit talking, they had a token faculty member talk, I'm assuming to get us really pumped about starting grad school. WEEEEE!!!! Yeah... no. Aside from all the bragging he did about himself and how he occasionally does TV news pieces for ABC and CBS, how he writes columns/articles for several newspapers (he's a chemistry professor... I doubt very many people read them), and how he is so dedicated to his work and his students that he stays up till 2 in the morning researching and answering emails, he tried to give us advice and help us picture what these next few years of grad school were going to look like. He quoted Batman and then told us that we need to be superhero grad students. (He claims he was inspired and got this wonderful idea because of Iron Man 2.)

After he stretched his analogy out as much as he could, he then told us we needed to really get to know who we were. He told us that we needed to go on a date with ourselves. He continued, "Go to your favorite restaurant and prop up a mirror in front of you because you'll want to look at yourself." While I'm sure he was not being literal, I thought it was funny that he went on about the date with ourselves. I think most people would have just stopped at the "go on a date with yourself."

All in all, it was kind of a waste. The only good things were that I found out that as a UTD student I can get a free DART transportation pass for any DART rail or bus in the metroplex, along with other discounted/free activities (man do I love being a student again), and there was a cute, very nice guy that sat next to me during the orientation. We talked for a little bit before and after, but since Clifton is a grad student in public affairs, I will probably never see him again. Such is my life.

Well, I've got a few more months before I'm sleep-deprived and stressed about homework, so I'm going to live it up this summer while I can. You'll soon find out how I'm going to do it.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Ah, the joys of academia...and beauracracy. (pretty sure I spelled that wrong, sorry)