Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Have I told you lately that I love...

Robert Downey Jr.?

Yeah. I do. And I'm not one of those new fans. Oh no. I've loved him since I was a child. Ever since Heart and Souls. (It's got RDJ, Kyra Sedgwick,Charles Grodin, Elisabeth Shue!)

When he started coming back from his terrible drug/alcohol abuse, I was very pleased. I knew he was starting to get popular again, doing parts here and there now that he was recovered. But, as soon as I saw the little-known, but really great film, Charlie Bartlett, that is when I knew he had finally arrived and was bound for awesomeness. Then, of course came Iron Man, and we all know what happened after that.

Ever since then, I've been wanting to write Mr. Robert Downey Jr. a letter telling him how great I think he is (and have always known) and how he better not fall back into his old ways because if he disappeared again my heart would not be able to take it. Well, I have finally drafted this said letter, and I'm about to send it (debating on whether or not to include a SASE cause I don't want to be begging for stuff). I kind of want a response, but I doubt I'll get one. I'll let you know if I do. Here it is:

Dear Mr. Robert Downey Jr.,

While I am pretty sure that the person who initially opens this letter is either an intern, secretary, or perhaps someone your agency hired off the street who gets paid five cents for every letter opened, I write in the hopes that just maybe by my sheer wit and sincerity, my letter will somehow change hands enough to get mentioned, or if I'm lucky, handed to you for your reading pleasure. With this bold assumption in mind, I would just like to say thank you.

Thank you, and please don't ever go away again.

I admire you and your ability to overcome adversity. While I have not had to face anything like you have, you are still an inspiration to me and others, and what I love is that you joke about it now.

You know what else I admire? How loving and dedicated you are to your wife. So many other Hollywood couples cheat on each other, separate, divorce, and sometimes not even act like they love each other. Yes, you've had experience with this too, but this time, I can tell you two will last far longer than some of those other folks. It is refreshing to see someone so dedicated and loving to his wife like you are. If only there were more like you two. Of course if there were, TMZ and shows like Extra would have nothing to talk about (except maybe about who wore it best). And where would we be without good ole TMZ?!

I would also like to say that my admiration for you goes way back. I'm not one of those new fans who started liking you after Iron Man; although, I can see why so many would start because in that movie you were pretty much freaking awesome. No, no. I thought you were an amazing actor even before then.

When I was 7 yrs. old a movie called Heart and Souls came out, and I loved it. I would watch it over and over again on VHS (I loved the "Walk like a man, talk like a man" sequence). I thought you were terrific (yes, even my 7 yr. old self knew that), but I was saddened when you kind of disappeared (both because you had and because you were in movies my parents wouldn't let me watch).

I realized only later why, and I thought to myself, if he was great hopped up on drugs, he'd be amazing sobered up! And boy, are you.

Slowly, you got back into it, and it was after seeing Charlie Bartlett that I knew you were back. Then Iron Man, and well, you know the rest.

I hope and pray that you continue. I want you to be like Clint Eastwood, 80 years old and still making awesome movies. You have a gift (which I'm sure you've heard a million times over, but who doesn't love to be complimented over and over again?), and the entertainment world would sorely be lacking without you.

You make what could potentially be lame movies 10 times better just by being in it and by being able to deliver an even terrible line with such confidence and style it doesn't sound terrible but great! If you were in Iron Man 10, I (and really everyone) would see it. (Although, I really hope it stops at a reasonable number. 10 might be a bit much... like Land Before Time 13 or Rocky V or Rambo IV, or come to think of it... really any Sylvester Stallone sequels.)

So, as a long time, dedicated fan, I'd like to make a small request.

Don't stop. Keep going. Please don't fall back into drugs and disappear again.

I just don't think I could take the Iron Man or Sherlock Holmes sequels without you. You are what make those films. I know it, you know it, and Hollywood knows it. Don't let them mess you or your career up. Please? Thank you. :)

Signed with love, adoration, and a little free advertising on your behalf when I tell all of my friends and family to see your films, a loyal fan,

Mattie

So, what do y'all think?

2 comments:

Erika said...

LOL! I think it's sure to get a response. I especially like the closing.

Unknown said...

Love how you open with an intern, secretary, or perhaps someone who was hired off the street! that should get his attention!