Sunday, July 25, 2010

One of my pet peeves...

So, ok, I'll admit, some of pet peeves cannot be helped by some people. There are some that do not have a complete handle on the English language, so while it bugs me, I try to let it go as best I can because even I am not perfect (shocking, I know). I also really don't like stupid people, but most times, these people cannot help it either, so again I try to not let it get to me too much (unless they pretend to be dumb on purpose, in which case I judge them even more). But, I do have one pet peeve that really gets me angry in most circumstances (and the ones that don't, I'll explain in a moment).

What is this pet peeve? Ok, here it is: I hate it when people ask me questions that they can look up or figure out for themselves.

Now, like I said earlier, there is always exceptions. If we are out somewhere and you can't remember the name of some movie and ask me (cause more than likely I'll know it), that's cool. If it's something that I'd probably know off the top of my head, no problem. I get it. It is those times that I don't have a problem with you asking me something. However, if you ask me something in which I have to look it up when you could look it up yourself, that's when I get angry.

Here's an example: I was on the road in the car when a friend texted me about something else. After answering her, I figured our little "conversation" was complete. But, then 5 minutes later I get another text from her asking me if I knew if some restaurant was in McKinney and where it was (completely unrelated to our previous conversation). Ummm... I don't live in McKinney, so I have no clue. But, here's the part that bugged me: This friend has an iPhone. This is the time you pull it out to figure out where this restaurant is. LOOK IT UP YOURSELF. That is why you have an iPhone for crying out loud!!! I said this to myself in the privacy of my car, so she doesn't know how peeved I was, and I only responded, "I don't know, sorry."

Example #2: I have a coworker who has now worked at the company for a year, which means he has handled at least 4 journal issues on his own now. However, every time he is nearing the final stages before his journal is printed (and I'm not kidding, it's been every time now), he comes and asks me what it is he has to double check on the issue. Really? You've already asked me this 3 months ago when your last issue came out, and 3 months before that, too. You've been working here for a year now, this should be old hat to you. And, if it's not... THERE'S A CHECKLIST ON THE COMPUTER!!!!! I'm serious, if he asks me one more time, I'm going to scream. Cause previously, I'm the super nice, "get along with everyone" employee that everyone thinks I am and knows me to be, so I've just answered his question every time and sent him on his merry way. His next issue's coming up... I'll let you know what happens.

I have other examples, but I think you get the point.

I feel like this happens alot at work because, I'll just come out and say it... most of my coworkers are lazy. And unfortunately, I'm too nice to tell them to go look it up for themselves, so I do it for them to answer their question. I can't tell you how many times in which they've asked something, like, so what day is the holiday we have off? or how do we do this process? or how do I find this? and I have to show them, look it up, or email them the process etc. that they had as much access to as I did. I realize I'm enabling them by doing it for them, but sometimes I feel like I'd rather just help them than cause waves by telling them to quit being lazy butts and look it up. There have been so many times in which I've wanted to just send them to this website.

I think the main reason I have this pet peeve is because of how I act when I come across a question. If I can't remember something or I'm curious about something, I'll research it to find out about it or look it up online so I can find out the answer. So, most times, I rarely ask people questions because I feel like I could probably figure it out myself. And in fact, I feel that's how I learn and remember it better; if I take the time to figure it out myself, it's more likely to stick. It's only those times when I can't find the answer, or someone other than me would know better how to handle the situation that I seek out help. I don't ask for help very often. I just feel like why waste someone else's time when you can just as easily do it yourself?

Don't worry, I'm not saying you can't ask me anything ever, but just be aware I might become annoyed with you if you ask me something that I believe you could find out for yourself. I'll still probably answer you, but I won't like it.

1 comment:

Rhia Jean said...

Mattie, your pet peeve sounds exactly like what I do for a living. Well, that and walk halfway across the school to plug something in because "it's not working and I have tried everything".