Monday, August 15, 2011

The Apartment Saga--Boiled Down Short Version

Now that I'm past all the ridiculousness that happened with my seemingly cursed apartment, it doesn't seem like too much of a saga now. I'm really hoping, praying, and keeping my fingers crossed that we are on the other side of this hill and things are looking up. In short, here's what happened:
  • Some drama happened with me and my family because I wasn't exactly packed yet and they decided to move all my stuff and pack it for me even though I didn't ask them to, which led to them being mad that I wasn't prepared and packed already.
  • Because of said drama, I wasn't in a particularly pleasant mood and was rather distracted when signing the lease, which led to us signing the lease without looking at the apartment first (not a good move on my part).
  • Once we had the keys, our initial looksie seemed okay, but as we started moving things in and taking a closer look we noticed a few things:
    • Like how there was a giant cochroach on the ceiling, which was of course a tell-tale sign that there were others like it lurking all up in the kitchen and my roommate's bathroom/bedroom, which means umm we didn't use our kitchen (and really still haven't) or unpack anything in it.
    • The pipes under the sink leaked (and still does actually) and we noticed that apparently this is a continuing problem because that one cabinet has been painted to cover up the water damage.
    • The screen door was installed backwards (the lock was on the wrong side so couldn't latch) and the screen fell out, which to their credit, the complex did fix very quickly.
    • Also we had a slight problem with our gate keys and of course couldn't get them working after the office was already closed, on the weekend.
    • We couldn't get satellite because of the way our apartment faces and because the complex wouldn't let the satellite be outside the patio or attached to the railing.
    • Of course you guys remember my little Internet problem. Well, since then, we found out that AT&T can only give us their basic DSL package (which is not what we had signed up for), which is incredibly slow, because our phone lines are too old to allow them to give us a faster package.
    • There were other things with each of the issues, other little things that just compounded and made dealing with it all at once right when we moved in a HUGE pain.
  • Most of these problems, in fact, were noticed after the office was closed or required other people (pest control, AT&T peeps, maintenance people, etc.), which means we had to wait on all of them to get things fixed. And I hate waiting.
Since then, the pest control people have come and sprayed/powdered and done who knows what else, and I'm happy to say that though I've seen plenty of dead roaches I haven't seen any live ones, which I would like to keep that way. We have unpacked most everything in the kitchen and even bought groceries! (We still haven't used the kitchen as in cooked anything because it's been too freakin' hot to do that.) After I bugged (haha!) my roommate because I'm too used to the fast Verizon Fios of my parents' house, we are switching to the much faster (at least than what we have now) Time Warner Cable so that I can watch a 20 min. episode of the Colbert Report in 20 min. (hopefully) instead of the 30-40 min. it took me a few days ago. (They are coming this Friday, so hopefully all will go well.)

Again, I don't want to jinx anything, but it appears as if things are looking up. Now if only I could find the time to actually unpack my room instead of having stacks of boxes everywhere...

5 comments:

k said...

I am happy to hear things are settling in!

Miss Nesbit said...

Thanks love!

Lauren said...

Oh my gosh! This is a nightmare and probably not the best thing for me to read THE NIGHT BEFORE I MOVE INTO MY NEW APARTMENT, you know, the one I haven't seen before...

anna said...

moving is always such a joy. especially into a house you've never seen before!

Miss Nesbit said...

Lauren, haha I'm sure that your apt. is lovely and beautiful and you'll make tons of friends!! :)

Anna, I know for reals. Hopefully the next time I move I'll have learned my lesson and remember that.